nPB is an abbreviation for “Normal Propyl Bromide” or “1-bromo-propane” indicated by the CAS #106-94-5 on Safety Data Sheets. This nonflammable fluid is a powerful cleaner with a low global warming potential. It is used as an alternative to CFC-113, methyl chloroform, hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) and perfluorocarbons (PFCs) in many critical cleaning, drying, carrier fluid and other high-value specialty uses where reliability is paramount.
Based upon toxicological research conducted by ACGIH, the Acceptable Exposure Limit (AEL) is 0.1 parts per million (ppm), using the 8-hour time weighted average (TWA) methodology. This means that nPB-based fluids should only be used safely in high-quality, tight, modern vapor degreasing equipment.
However, Governmental agencies in the the U.S., Canada and elsewhere around the world have been moving to restrict nPB use. Europe has already banned nPB for use as an industrial cleaner. Therefore, companies currently using nPB are proactively looking for a replacement for nPB.
Fortunately, there are a number of good nPB replacements available through MicroCare. These replacements for nPB are versatile, removing many types of contamination such as oils, grease and fluxes. They also feature the chemical physical properties (boiling point, flash point, specific gravity, viscosity, surface tension, etc.) that make the nPB replacements excellent cleaners but also easy to maintain, recycle and reuse.
In addition, the replacements for nPB are nonflammable, making them safer to ship, store and use. Some of the best nPB replacement fluids include:
- Tergo™ Metal Cleaning Fluid An environmentally sustainable azeotropic cleaner engineered for fast, consistent and economical cleaning in vapor degreasers
- Tergo™ Chlorine-Free Cleaning Fluid This High-temperature, high strength degreaser removes stubborn soils
- Tergo ™High Performance Flux Remover Sustainable Tergo™ HPFR High Performance Flux Remover excels at removing stubborn white residue and difficult no-clean fluxes
- Opteon™ SF80 Cleaning Fluid Opteon™ SF80 combines the high solvency needs for industrial cleaning with and environmentally-friendly low GWP (Global Warming Potential)
- Other custom formulations and pending prototype currently in development may also be available